One week and counting

Friday, November 16, 2007

The campout is one of my top three favorite events of the whole year. It usually takes place the Friday after Thanksgiving. I wanted to give a little background on the event. The campout has been a tradition in Sachems head since my parents were our age. Way back when it was held out in a place called the Indian caves not far from our present site. My last time at the Indian caves was in the mid 80's which I think was the last time the campout was held there. This was a young Peter Ginz's year to claim the camper of the year award. An easy 10 years went by with no campout until my cousin Turk and I started the tradition again in '99. The modern site is Turk's high school party location in the Johnsons woods which is an easy hike in and out. We have had it every year since. We now keep a plaque to record the "Camper of the Year" recognition for the outstanding performance of the evening. One of the things I love most is the fact that it is a predictable event on the Friday after Thanksgiving so you never know who will turn up! So anyone who is in CT next Friday, see you there. Here are a few highlight photos from past years....

The Crew in 04'

Old lady Sachem
A younger Kerry

00'

0 comments:

 
The Podunk Chronicles - by Templates para novo blogger