Ike's Update: 16-18 Months

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sorry for the length, it has been a while since I last updated about Ike’s general development. He is 1 week short of 18 months and he is a full fledged “Toddler”. It has been quite something to witness the transformation. He knows how to tantrum when he doesn’t get what he wants and man has he gotten smart. Here is a good example: he LOVES sour patch kids (probably because I love them) and two nights ago I had a big bag on the counter and he was non-stop pointing and grunting for them so I moved them onto the top of the fridge which I thought was out of sight out of mind. The next morning, he went into the kitchen, spied the bag on the top of the fridge and began to cry and go down on his knees begging for a SPK! It was at that moment that I realized our life with Ike is morphing to a new level where everything we do revolves around HOW TO OUT-SMART IKE?!

We seemed to get over the post-traumatic stress from the hospital stay in March and in the last month he has gotten into a pretty good rhythm. He goes to sleep at 7:30 and for a while he was sleeping in past 7 but as of this week we are back to 5:45- bummer! He has been down to 1 midday nap for the last 2 months or so which makes life on the weekends easier.

In a month, he will graduate from the Baby room and move to the Waddler room at school which will be exciting for him. He has had an amazing 16 months with Terry in the Baby room but he is ready to explore new things across the hall. He spends a good bit of time in there already so the transition should be easy.

VOCABULARY: He is still limited in his words and the current vocabulary consists of: dada/daddy (nope, no mama yet), ugh oh, bye bye, yea (not yeah but yea) and wow. Yesterday, when I picked him up from school all the teachers were laughing because he starting saying “get out” to them in a funny sort of teenager way....I must say the teachers are so much better at translating his language and they commented, “we speak baby”. He really gets what we are saying and will answer “yea” to your question when he wants something so that proves to be helpful. He tends to wake up in the morning a total chatty Kathy which cracks us up!

DIET: He likes to eat but only certain things: yogurt, cottage cheese, deli ham or turkey, string cheese, french toast, pancakes, cereal bars, applesauce, FRUIT of any kind, sunbutter sandwiches, crackers, cookies and peas & corn. He will eat hot dogs & pizza but only in the company of his friends- peer pressure. I wish he ate more adult like food but he has no desire- he won't touch mac n' cheese or chicken nuggets! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised as I was the pickiest eater ever as a kid!!

HAIR: I have taken him to a real barber now twice and it is a nightmare but what else are you going to do with a kid with chia pet hair... it grows and grows. He sits on my lap and cries most of the time and we both end up covered in hair and it isn’t too pretty but gets the job done. I had been cutting his hair monthly at home up until he was 15 mos and I decided it was getting beyond my skill level. I hope each time it will get easier. He did receive his first lollipop after the last cut and he thought that was pretty cool.

INTERESTS: He is very interested in tractors/mowers, anything you push, airplanes, helicopters (surprise!), slides and swings. Harcourt taught him about airplanes in the sky so whenever he hears a plane fly over he points to the sky and says “dadda” - it is funny. He reads the same “My Big Truck” book every night and it has a 2 page spread devoted to tractors and he insists on going right to that page and starring at all the John Deere’s. Also, a new swing-set for Ike is on order (thx kyle & bing) and should arrive soon and we are SO EXCITED about that!

Thanks for reading!

0 comments:

 
The Podunk Chronicles - by Templates para novo blogger